[SciPy-user] nan?

Joshua Petterson joshuafr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 03:55:08 EST 2006

Hi Robert,
thanks for these precisions. I don't want to start a troll in this
m-l, but why numpy doesn't understand nan and masked_values together?
And a mix of them doen't work:
|~|[40]>ma.masked_values([1,2,nan],nan).mean()
Out [40]:array(nan)
|~|[41]>ma.masked_object([1,2,nan],nan).mean()
Out [41]:array(nan)

Then, if I have missing values in my datas, what can I do? I cannot
compute on nan, and numpy.ma doesn't recognize it. I could use isnan
to find them, but what's that?:
|~|[48]>a=[1,2,nan]
|~|[49]>b=ma.array(a,mask=isnan(a))
|~|[50]>b
Out [50]:
array(data =
 [  1.00000000e+00   2.00000000e+00   1.00000000e+20],
      mask =
 [False False True],
      fill_value=1e+20)

nan becomes 1e+20!!! Good precision :-)