[SciPy-user] What is missing in scipy to be a top notch environment for signal processing

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 21 20:13:59 EST 2006

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Chris Bartley apparently wrote:
>> The other feature we use a lot is the matlab 'decimate',
>> which I understand is not currently built into scipy,
>> although I do have code for a port of this function from
>> Octave.
>
> Is it something more than a slice?  (E.g.,
> http://sourcecode.atnf.csiro.au/repos/asap/trunk/python/asapplotter.py
> just uses a slice.)
Yes; it is a resampler (that is there is filtering). To code one similar
to matlab would be fairly easy, as matlab implementation uses a
Chebychev filter, which is available in scipy.

Also, for audio signals, pysamplerate
(http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/softwares/pysamplerate/),
which is my wrapper to SRC (http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/) gives really
good results for audio signals (from 20 dB to around 100 dB of SNR
depending on the type of resampler) at reasonable speeds,

cheers,

David