[SciPy-user] Yeah, hat did the trick! (Was: Have I been given up on?)

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 16 01:38:31 EST 2006

David L. Goldsmith wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> If you followed the instructions on the page, it would have installed correctly.
>> It's just a dumb tarball; it can't find anything other than the relative paths
>> to install to (and tarballs with absolute paths are very, very bad). The
>> instructions show you how to give the appropriate root.
>>
>>   sudo tar -xvf gfortran-bin.tar -C /
>>
>> http://hpc.sourceforge.net/
>>

> Stuffit didn't even give me a chance to say where it should go, nor did
> it leave the tarball "balled up" so that I might (would have to) do what
> you indicate above, it automatically unballed it after downloading and
> unzipping it - I suppose that means I need to change my Stuffit
> preferences. :-)

OK, I moved the gzipped to /usr/local, unzipped and then untarred it
using the command you gave previously, and low and behold scipy built
w/out errors!  Then I python setup.py install-ed, and that completed
sans errors!  Finally, I imported scipy.integrate, and believe it or
not, it worked!  Yeah!  Thanks so much for walking me through it, and
thanks for your patience!

DG