[SciPy-user] Have I been given up on? (Was: In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 20:30:29 EST 2006

David Goldsmith wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>>> Didn't fix - still same "crash".
>>>
>> The location of the executable isn't the issue itself. It merely demonstrates
>> that it didn't come from the same source that I was expecting. Where did you get
>> gfortran from?
>>
> Ah, I see.  I got it from where you said, but in the process of getting
> it from there again, just to be sure, I figured out that it _was_
> unpacking everything into a folder called usr/local/bin (and
> usr/local/lib, etc.), but not _the_ /usr/local/bin.  Rather, probably
> since my default download location is my Desktop, it was creating a usr
> folder tree on my Desktop and unpacking everything there (though rather
> understandable behavior, I would say this is a bug, i.e., it should be
> able to find _the correct_ /usr/local to put things in, agreed?).

If you followed the instructions on the page, it would have installed correctly.
It's just a dumb tarball; it can't find anything other than the relative paths
to install to (and tarballs with absolute paths are very, very bad). The
instructions show you how to give the appropriate root.

  sudo tar -xvf gfortran-bin.tar -C /

http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

> So, I
> moved the usr/local tree on my Desktop to my /usr/local directory - it
> didn't result in success, but did change the point and nature of the
> failure:
>
>          <snip>
>     Fortran fix compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
> -fno-second-underscore -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3
> -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450     -mtune=7450
>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4
>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib
>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack
>     creating build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack/dfftpack
>     compile options: '-c'
>     gfortran:f77: Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.f
>     gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
>     gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
>     error: Command "/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
> -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450
> -c -c
>     Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.f -o
> build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/fftpack/dfftpack/dcosqb.o" failed
> with exit status 1

Well, then something is still messed up with your gfortran installation. My f951
executable is here:

  /usr/local/libexec/gcc/i386-apple-darwin8.8.1/4.2.0/f951

> I've put the entire stdout and stderr output of the build(s) (in the
> order in which they were generated, i.e., there's a modicum of stderr
> output amongst the stdout output) at (anonymous)
> ftp://ftp.orr.noaa.gov/public/HMRD/DG/buildlogs/.  buildlog_Kern is the
> output from issuing the long command you indicated in a previous post,
> Robert, and buildlog_Steve is the output from issuing simply "python
> setup.py build."  And yes, I did delete the entire build folder before
> each attempt.

I'm getting a 550 error code in response.

550 yet been approved for downloading by the site administrators.rators.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco