[SciPy-user] Have I been given up on? (Was: In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 15:16:09 EST 2006

David L Goldsmith wrote:
> I apologize for the tone of my last post.  Have I been given up on?

No, but please have patience. We all help out on the list only according to how
much time we have available. Sometimes, that's less than we'd like.

> David Goldsmith wrote:

>>> I think he asked about XCode because new versions of XCode install
>>> new version of gcc on your system.
>>>
>>> Getting/using the right gcc is probably the easiest way to get you
>>> moving .. the latest version of XCode also installs gcc 4.0.1
>>>

>> OK, I now have:
>>
>>     $ gcc --version
>>     powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc.
>> build 5367)
>>     Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>     This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
>> is NO
>>     warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>> PURPOSE.
>>
>> I do:
>>
>>     $ python setup.py build_src build_clib --fcompiler=gnu95 build_ext
>> --fcompiler=gnu95 build
>>
>> I (still) get:
>>
>>             :
>>             :
>>     Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.f:3368: internal compiler error: tree
>> check: expected ssa_name, have var_decl in verify_ssa, at tree-ssa.c:677
>>     Please submit a full bug report,
>>     with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>>     See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
>>     error: Command "/usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
>> -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450
>> -c -c
>>     Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.f -o
>> build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.o" failed with
>> exit status 1

Did you deliberately move the gfortran executable into /usr/bin/? The binary
tarball I pointed you to would unpack it into /usr/local/bin/.

>> PS: How do I check that my vecLib is installed/working correctly?  I
>> looked for tests (locally) but couldn't find any - is there a test suite
>> for it online somewhere?

You could probably download the LAPACK 3.0 tarball and modify its Makefiles to
build its test programs using vecLib.framework . However, it is always
installed, and unless something has modified it since you installed your OS, it
is almost certainly working correctly (at least as correctly as it ever will work).

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco