[SciPy-user] [Pythonmac-SIG] In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary built w/ gcc 3.3 (NOT 4.0)

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 14 12:48:01 EST 2006

Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>>> What version of Xcode do you use? On my system:
>>>
>> I'm not using Xcode, I'm doing all this in a terminal.
>>

> I think he asked about XCode because new versions of XCode install
> new version of gcc on your system.
>
> Getting/using the right gcc is probably the easiest way to get you
> moving .. the latest version of XCode also installs gcc 4.0.1

OK, I now have:

    $ gcc --version
    powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc.
build 5367)
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

I do:

    $ python setup.py build_src build_clib --fcompiler=gnu95 build_ext
--fcompiler=gnu95 build

I (still) get:

            :
            :
    Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.f:3368: internal compiler error: tree
check: expected ssa_name, have var_decl in verify_ssa, at tree-ssa.c:677
    Please submit a full bug report,
    See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
    error: Command "/usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
-fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450
-c -c
    Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.f -o
build/temp.macosx-10.4-fat-2.4/Lib/integrate/odepack/vode.o" failed with
exit status 1

I'm fast approaching the point in time at which I could have written my
own R-K solver; it shouldn't be this difficult (i.e., if you actually
want to build a user base) - why is it?

DG

PS: How do I check that my vecLib is installed/working correctly?  I
looked for tests (locally) but couldn't find any - is there a test suite
for it online somewhere?