[SciPy-user] scikits: requirements for a launch ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 2 03:32:45 EST 2006

Hi,

    A few days ago, the idea of scikits popped for codes which depends
on LICENSE different than BSD-like. My understanding is that the idea
popped up sometime before, but nothing was done for various reasons.
There is code *now* which I can give for scikits, which may be
interesting for signal processing people, pyaudio and pysamplerate:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/softwares/pysamplerate/

    http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/softwares/pyaudio

    I developed those packages because I need them right now, but if
they are to become of some use for other people as well, it would make
it easier for me to have a public place with a source control system and
the likes to put those packages. So:

    - Is launching scikits now possible ?
    - If not, what needs to be done (besides finding a name ?)
    - R. Kern suggested a layout of the packages, which I am copying
below. Do people have suggestions about the layout ?

trunk/
   pkg1/
     README
     setup.py