[SciPy-user] using linalg.lstsq

Mitchell Timin zenguyuno at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 23:17:59 EDT 2006

--- Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mitchell Timin wrote:
>
> > I accept that, but I don't see how to put my problem into that form.  Suppose we are
> > given these 4 points only:
> >    x     y      z
> >    0     0      .5
> >    0     1      .6
> >    1     0      .4
> >    1     1      .55
> >
> > What is the equation of the plane that passes closest to those 4 points?  It is of
> the
> > form z = a*x + b*y + c.  What are the values of a, b, & c?
>
> Okay, let's take a step back. If you are defining closest by looking at the
> difference between the points and the plane in the z direction (that is, z_i -
> (a*x_i + b*y_i + c)), then what I gave you is *exactly* what you asked for. I'm
> afraid I can't really simplify it any more than that.

That is what I want, but I don't know how to put the values given above into the A and B
matrices, and also get them into the correct shapes.

Thanks,

Mitchell Timin

I'm proud of http://ANNEvolve.sourceforge.net.  If you want to write software, or articles, or do testing, or research for ANNEvolve, let me know.