[SciPy-user] typeset math

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri May 5 17:58:10 EDT 2006

Robert Kern said:
> No, the point of the project is to be able to typeset math
> formulae using TeX font metrics and TeX algorithms without
> needing a TeX installation.

OK, the meaning of "typeset" is a bit obscure to me here.
I will assume this means: can I go from docstrings including
math formulae to PDF without using TeX.

Assume the math formulae are in LaTeX format,
designated clearly.

One path:
reStructedText doc strings -> XHTML+MathML -> PDF
Mostly reuse existing tools.
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/docutils/trunk/sandbox/jensj/latex_math/

Another path:
reStructedText doc strings -> AbiWord XML -> PDF
(AbiWord already has good LaTeX -> MathML conversion,
but it needs improvement.)

If you do not wish to go via TeX, is there an obvious
(feasible) alternative to going via MathML?

Cheers,
Alan Isaac