[SciPy-user] maxentropy

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Sat Mar 18 17:32:57 EST 2006

On 18/03/2006, at 1:31 AM, Matthew Cooper wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks again for working on this.  I can try and work on it a bit
> this weekend.  I've had time to look over the two example scripts
> you provided.  There seemed to be  some difference in the two in
> terms of the call to the conditionalmodel fit method.  In the low
> level example, the count parameter seemed to provide the empirical
> counts of the feature functions, where the features were simply
> (context,label) co-occurrence.  In the high level example, the
> features are more complicated, and the counts parameter seems to
> have different dimensionality.  I'll try and get a working high
> level example together next.

Hi Matt,

I've now found and fixed some bugs in the conditional maxent code.
The computation of the conditional expectations was wrong, and the
p_tilde parameter was interpreted inconsistently.  Both the examples
work now!  Fantastic!

I'd be very grateful for any assistance you could give in providing
more examples -- especially real examples from text classification.
The two examples at the moment are too artificial and perhaps a bit
confusing.  Or if you have any suggestions or patches for simplifying
the interface (e.g. the constructor arguments) or any other
improvements (e.g. bug fixes, better docs, or a tutorial) I'd also
readily merge them.

Let me know how you go with it.  When you're happy that it's all
working, I'll merge it with the main SVN trunk.

-- Ed