[SciPy-user] difference between NumPy and Scipy

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Thu Mar 16 12:00:41 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> linda.s wrote:
>
>> i saw the news of NumPy release and SciPy release.
>> Numpy is said to be the core of Scipy. But why they have different releases?
>>

> Because NumPy is the core of other packages as well.   So, it has a
> different release schedule.
>
> It would be nice if NumPy and SciPy had synchronous releases, but we
> need more people to help with releases to make that possible.  For now,
> SciPy releases are usually a little behind.

I could try to make a new SciPy release this weekend.

Before then, though, I suggest we change the package name of nd_image.
Here was my proposal from a previous thread:

> I have a minor suggestion: that we rename the package from 'nd_image'
> to 'image' for consistency with the other packages, like 'signal',
> 'optimize' and 'sparse'.  There's currently an 'image' package in the
> sandbox, but that looks much less mature, and should probably be
> integrated with the existing package when it actually does come into
> the main tree.

What do people think?  At the very least we should remove the
underscore, so it's more consistent with linalg and fftpack (which
aren't lin_alg, fft_pack ;)

-- Ed