[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] [ANN] NumPy 0.9.6 released

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Wed Mar 15 09:06:17 EST 2006

mfmorss at aep.com wrote:
>> We need some of these people to convert earlier than that, though, so we
>> can make sure that 1.0 really is ready for prime time.  I think it's
>> very close already or the version number wouldn't be so high.  We are
>> just waiting for more people to start using it and report any issues
>> that they have before going to 1.0 (I'd also like scalar math to be
>> implemented pre 1.0 as well in case that requires any C-API additions).
>>
> I can understand that, but here as a potential industrial users of Numpy,
> we can't really afford the risk.  We're looking at Numpy as a key piece of
> a Python replacement of commercial software for critical daily production.
> If we build Numpy/Scipy into our system, it has to work.  We don't want to
> be anyone's beta testers.

NumPy is rapidly become more stable, due the hard work of Travis and its
other developers.  But my opinion is that SciPy is not yet ready for
"critical daily production" unless you're willing to work through bugs
or missing functionality.  I assume you have compelling reasons for
wanting to migrate from your current commercial software to Python /
NumPy / SciPy, in which case I suggest you consider a support contract
with a company like Enthought.  I don't have links to them myself, but
the website advertises consulting services for numerical computing on
these platforms, and there will be others on the scipy-user list who can
give you more information.

-- Ed