[SciPy-user] 64 bit Address Space Limitations

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Mar 14 13:32:03 EST 2006

Mark W. wrote:
> Hi. We are converting our systems to a 64-bit platform to hopefully take
> advantage of larger address spaces for arrays and such. Can anyone tell me -
> or point me to documentation which tells - how much address space for an
> array I could hope to get? We have a memory error on the 32-bit machines
> when we try to load a large array and we're hoping this will get around that
> 2 Gig (or less) limit.

This is finally possible using Python 2.5 and numpy.  But, you need to
use Python 2.5 which is only available as an SVN check-out and still has
a few issues.  Python 2.5 should be available as a release in the summer.

NumPy allows creation of larger arrays even with Python 2.4 but there
will be some errors in some uses of slicing, the buffer interface, and
memory-mapped arrays because of inherent limitations to Python that were
only recently removed.

-Travis