[SciPy-user] step function

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 15:50:37 EST 2006

Jonathan Taylor wrote:
> i was just wondering if there is a simple way to define a step function
> in scipy, like an ECDF (empirical cumulative distribution function) in
> statistics....
>
> i have hacked my own version, but it is quite slow....

scipy.interpolate.interp1d has an option for nearest-neighbor interpolation
which is almost what you want except that the provided data points are in the
center of the steps instead of at the left or right.

What does your version look like? Let's see if we can't improve upon it.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

 an underlying truth."