[SciPy-user] numpy/scipy+ATLAS on SuSE10.0/gcc4 (once more)

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Mar 8 02:16:03 EST 2006

Christian Kristukat wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>

>>  I was able to build numpy/scipy using gcc4.0.2.
>>

> [...]
>
>> So I have used g77 to compile ATLAS and numpy/scipy. It works fine for me.
>>
>> Essentially gfortran cannot be used  !!!!
>>

> Hi Nils,
> can you tell me how you did that? I'm about to switch to gcc3 but I'd prefer not
> to depend on so much additional software.
>
> Regards, Christian

Hi Christian,

All you need is to install compat-g77. Once you have build ATLAS using
gcc4.02
you should build a complete liblapack.a.
http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#completelp

Copy all *.a  into /usr/local/lib/atlas
Checkout scipy/numpy via svn
and install them via
python setup.py install
That's all.

Cheers,
                 Nils

rpm -qi compat-g77

Name        : compat-g77                   Relocations: /usr
Version     : 3.3.5                             Vendor: SUSE LINUX
Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Sat 10 Sep 2005
01:47:44 AM CEST
Install date: Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:32:44 PM CET      Build Host:
ensslin.suse.de
Group       : Development/Languages/Fortran   Source RPM:
compat-g77-3.3.5-2.src.rpm
Size        : 6289257                          License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 10 Sep 2005 04:55:00 AM CEST, Key ID
a84edae89c800aca
Packager    : http://www.suse.de/feedback
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
Summary     : GNU Fortran 77 Compiler
Description :
This is a Fortran 77 only compiler based on GCC 3.3.5.  It can be used
for source not yet compilable by the gcc-fortran package which contains
the new gfortran compiler.

Authors:
--------
    James Craig Burley <burley at gnu.ai.mit.edu>