[SciPy-user] numpy/scipy+ATLAS on SuSE10.0/gcc4 (once more)

mfmorss at aep.com mfmorss at aep.com
Tue Mar 7 08:07:20 EST 2006

"GCC 3.4.x is the last edition of GCC to contain g77 - from GCC 3.5
onwards, use gfortran"

That is a quotation from http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.1
/g77/News.html.  Therefore, I don't know what it means to say "with
gcc4/g77."  It may simply be that "g77" is a synonym for gfortran under
gcc-4.0.  That could explain why your shared libraries have been compiled
with what appear to be gfortran-specific references.

To repeat what I said here some days ago, I strongly recommend you quit
using gcc-4.0.  It is not difficult to build the much more reliable
gcc-3.4.5 from source.  Use --enable-languages=c,f77.  It may be a good
idea to keep it in a different directory from that which holds gcc-4.  You
can do that if you configure with --prefix=<gcc-top-directory>.  Then alias
"g77" to the the new g77.  Then build the math libraries.

Mark F. Morss
Principal Analyst, Market Risk
American Electric Power

             Nils Wagner
             <nwagner at mecha.un
             i-stuttgart.de>                                            To
             Sent by:                  SciPy Users List
             scipy-user-bounce         <scipy-user at scipy.net>
             s at scipy.net                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/07/2006 02:09          Re: [SciPy-user] numpy/scipy+ATLAS
             AM                        on SuSE10.0/gcc4 (once more)

             Please respond to
             SciPy Users List
             <scipy-user at scipy
                   .net>

Christian Kristukat wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got some observations to share concerning the compilation of
numpy/scipy
> with ATLAS on SuSE10.0
> In some earlier posts I told everybody to use gfortran to build
> numpy/scipy/ATLAS. Although the compilation worked without errors and
> numpy/scipy seemed to work as well, Robert prooved, that gfortran is
causing
> serious faults so that scipy eventually fails during execution.
> Originally I have chosen to use gfortran because every attempt to build
> numpy/scipy/ATLAS on SuSE10.0 using gcc4 and g77 failed. I will shortly
describe
> what I tried (with gcc4/g77)
>
> 1) using SUSE10.0 blas and lapack rpms
>
> Python 2.4.1 (#1, Sep 13 2005, 00:39:20)
> [GCC 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)] on linux2

> import linalg -> failed: /usr/lib/libblas.so.3: undefined symbol:
_gfortran_filename

> 2) with ATLAS
>
> Python 2.4.1 (#1, Sep 13 2005, 00:39:20)
> [GCC 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)] on linux2

> import linalg -> failed:
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so: undefined
symbol:
> _gfortran_copy_string
>

> 3) using self compiled lapack and blas works!!
>
> Can anyone figure out what the problem is and propose what to try next?
>
> Regards, Christian

Hi Christian,

It is well known that the rpm's (lapack + blas) shipped with SuSE are
incomplete.
So I recommend to remove these rpm's and comile lapack/blas from scratch.
BTW, I have send a message to SuSE two years ago and didn't receive any
reply.

Nils