[SciPy-user] 64 bit support

Paul Ray Paul.Ray at nrl.navy.mil
Mon Mar 6 19:13:35 EST 2006

Hi,

Does anyone have experience building SciPy on 64 bit linux boxes?

Our machine is a dual Opteron, running something like RedHat
Enterprise 4.2:
xxi1 : 74>uname -a
Linux xxi1.nrl.navy.mil 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jun 16 11:18:13 CDT
2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We've been running into problems with numpy/scipy looking for
libraries in /usr/lib when it should be using /usr/lib64, so that a
simple install with setup.py install doesn't work.  It crashes when
you run and it loads those 32 bit libraries.  I think all I need to
do is ensure that the library search paths include /usr/lib64 and /
usr/X11R6/lib64 and NOT /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib.  What is the easy
or "right" way to do this?  Is there an option to setup.py?  Should I
make a site.cfg (and where should it reside?)?  Should I edit
system_info.py?

I assume that this configuration is becoming more common as 64-bit
processors show up in more machines, so I'm surprised that setup.py
doesn't already figure it out and "do the right thing".  Are we doing
something boneheaded?

Thanks,

-- Paul