[SciPy-user] numpy install fails

Craig Maloney cmaloney at kitp.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 28 18:49:09 EDT 2006

Hi all.

Have a numpy installation problem.  Wondering if anyone has seen
something similar.

I'm installing with "python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/usr/local
 > setup.out"

There are some messages during the install about not finding Atlas,
fine... no Atlas.  I understand it has it's own (potentially slow)
built-in BLAS/LAPACK.  But when I try to import numpy, I get:
 >>> import numpy
import linalg -> failed: /dat/o1/cmaloney/usr/local/lib/python2.3/
site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so: undefined symbol:
__mth_i_dsqrt

If I do an ldd on lapack_lite.so, it looks like all dependencies are
met.  Anyone know where __mth_i_dsqrt is located, and why the build
didn't complain about the unresolved symbol?

Thanks,
Craig

PS This is on a slackware box (on which I'm not admin).  Same install
procedure works fine on my mac with fink:python-2.3.