[SciPy-user] SciPy web docs: add FC5 install instructions

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Jun 16 02:32:40 EDT 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Mark Alford wrote:

> I just installed SciPy on Fedora Core 5. After some work, I found out
> that it was easy:
>
>    yum install numpy
>    yum install lapack-devel blas-devel
>    setenv ATLAS /usr/lib/atlas   # Did this achieve anything?
> Download and unzip scipy-0.4.8 to /usr/local/src/
>    cd /usr/local/src/scipy-0.4.8   # 0.4.8 is compatible with FC5 numpy
>    python setup.py install  >& install.log
>

> Shouldn't this info be on the SciPy installation help page
>    http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux
>
> What's there now is a link to "the unofficial instructions by written by
> Steve Baum.". That is a long and impressively detailed document which
> will be very helpful to some experts. But I think it would help a lot of
> simple folk to also see the recipe I just gave above. How can we add
> this info to that web page?

That is quite easy: get yourself an account for the wiki
(under "User"/"Login" - see "First time")
and add the above.

I think that we should collect information like
this for all relevant distributions, including installations from source.
So a structure for that page *might* be

Distributions
=============

- Fedora Core 5
- SUSE 10.1
- debian sarge
- ubuntu (whatever the present name is ;-)
- ...

Installation from Source

Here we could list the required packages for each distribution
and mayabe refer to the generic installation notes
  http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral

(there is also the non-authorative stuff
http://www.scipy.org/ArndBaecker/InstallScipy
)

Best, Arnd