[SciPy-user] Eigenvalues and eigenvectors

David Grant davidgrant at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 17:51:04 EDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/11/06, David Grant <davidgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What function should I use to get some eigenvalues and eigenvectors?
> There
> > are so many and it's difficult to pin down what they are all for.
>
> Only two of the functions return both eigenvalues and eigenvectors:
>
>        eig        --- Eigenvalues and vectors of a square matrix
>        eigh       --- Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hermitian matrix
>
> I use eigh since my matrices are real and symmetric.
>
> (Should vectors be changed to eigenvectors in the doc string for eig?
> Then it would match the doc string for eigh.)
>
> Wait, I'm using numpy. In scipy I only see eig (except for banded stuff).

Well I'm using numpy too because my scipy is still compiling right now. :-)

I see there are in numpy.linalg.linalg. Weird package name. Well it looks
like both eig and eigh completely lock up for me.... I compiled numeric
without lapack. I'll try re-compiling with it. (I'm using gentoo by the
way).

--
David Grant
Please Note my new email address: davidgrant at gmail.com