[SciPy-user] estimating errors with optimize.leastsq

Christian Kristukat ckkart at hoc.net
Sun Jul 9 07:39:37 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> Christian Kristukat wrote:
>> Chiara Caronna wrote:
>>> 2) Is there any way to get the estimated errors on the fitting parameter?
>>> Maybe optimize.leastsq is not the right choice? Does anyone has some good
>>> hints?
>> Everything you need is in here:
>> http://www.boulder.nist.gov/mcsd/Staff/JRogers/papers/odr_vcv.dvi
>> I haven't yet found time/will to dig into it, but I'm definitely interested in a
>> good error estimation routine.
>
> The implementation of the ideas in that paper is in ODRPACK by the same author.
> It is wrapped as scipy.sandbox.odr . The docstrings are fairly thorough, I
> think, but please let me know if something needs to be clarified.

great! I just to tried to build from svn with sandbox.odr enabled. Upon
importing odr I get the following error:

>>> from scipy.sandbox import odr
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sandbox/odr/__init__.py",
line 55, in ?
    import odrpack
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/sandbox/odr/odrpack.py",
line 113, in ?
    from scipy.sandbox.odr import __odrpack
ImportError: cannot import name __odrpack

Looking at site-packages/scipy/sandbox/odr it looks like that the extension
module has not been built.
Btw. is it intended that numpy distutils (0.9.8) installs everything to
/usr/local/lib/python instead of /usr/lib/python? I don't like that very much.
Can I change the location with some configuration paramter?

Regards, Christian