[SciPy-user] Triangulation of L-shaped domains

Rob Hetland hetland at tamu.edu
Fri Jul 7 09:38:42 EDT 2006

I have a feeling that there *might* be a way to tease out which
triangles are inside the set of points you give, and which are
outside.  However, I have to say, that I thought about this for a
while, and then gave up.

More generally:  Is there a good utility for finding points inside an
arbitrary polygon?  I, for one, could really use such a utility.

-Rob

On Jun 30, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Nils Wagner wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>     Nils> Hi all, I have installed delaunay from the sandbox.
>>> How can
>>>     Nils> I triangulate L-shaped domains ?
>>>
>>>     Nils> My first try is somewhat unsatisfactory (delaunay.png) ?
>>>     Nils> How can I remove the unwanted triangles down to the
>>> right ?
>>>
>>> delaunay assumes a convex shape, which your domain is not.  I think
>>> you'll need a more sophisticated mesh algorithm.
>>
>> A short note in the docstring would be very helpful.
>> **delaunay assumes a convex shape**
>
> Actually, it doesn't "assume" any shape at all. It computes a Delaunay
> triangulation of a set of points irrespective of any boundary edges
> that you
> might have wanted. That's what an (unqualified) Delaunay
> triangulation is.
>
> Docstrings are not the place for tutorials on basic concepts.
> Google works quite
> well.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
>
> "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a
> harmless enigma
>   that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
> though it had
>   an underlying truth."
>    -- Umberto Eco

----
Rob Hetland, Assistant Professor
Dept. of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
http://pong.tamue.edu/~rob
phone: 979-458-0096, fax: 979-845-6331