[SciPy-user] The new SciPy.org

Paul Ray Paul.Ray at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Jan 31 10:19:49 EST 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Ed Schofield wrote:

> Joe Cooper wrote:
>
>> As threatened, the new Moin wiki has taken over the SciPy.org site.

I think it looks great, and I'm happy that the new SciPy and NumPy
have an "official" home, so I can start having all my developers
install consistent releases and get past the Numeric/numarray
confusion that has been causing trouble.  I'm sure the transition to
NumPy will take some work, but so far I haven't had many problems.
(BTW, does SciPy 0.4.4 require NumPy 0.9.2, or will NumPy 0.9.4
work?  If not, when will a SciPy release be made that supports NumPy
0.9.4?)

However, one problem with the pretty front page image is that it
doesn't work with the new SciPy!  xplt has been removed from the
default build, and relegated to the sandbox.  This is fine, as
matplotlib is the preferred plotting interface.   Thus, I think the
image should be changed to something that will actually work.  (I
realize this may be tricky since SciPy no longer does graphics, and
graphics are pretty, and you probably don't want to have the SciPy
front page highlight something that is really in matplotlib, not SciPy.)

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it brings up a question I
have.  What is the currently favored way to make a simple 3-d surface
plot like the one of the bessel function on the front page?  I didn't
see that capability in matplotlib, but perhaps I missed it.  If they
had it, you would think there would be a 3-d plot screenshot, but
there isn't:
	http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
Any suggestions for easy 3-d surface plots of numpy arrays?

Cheers,

-- Paul

Dr. Paul S. Ray              E-mail: Paul.Ray at nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory    WWW   : http://xweb.nrl.navy.mil/
personnel/paulr/
Code 7655                    Phone : (202) 404-1619
Washington, DC 20375         AIM   : NRLPSR