[SciPy-user] numpy and fcompiler

Eric Zollars zollars at caltech.edu
Tue Jan 24 16:02:09 EST 2006

Pearu-
	What is bundle1.o that is added to xlf.cfg in ibm.py in the
get_flags_linker_so() function?

Eric

 > Pearu Peterson wrote:
 >
 > Change the line
 >
 >    compiler = new_fcompiler(compiler='ibm')

 >    compiler = IbmFCompiler()
 >
 > Also, what are the values
 >
 >    os.name
 >    sys.platform
 >
 > in your system? Currently ibm compiler is enabled only for aix
platforms, see _default_compilers dictionary in
numpy/distutils/fcompiler/__init__.py.

 > Pearu

os.name = posix
sys.platform = linux2

I added ibm to _default_compilers for linux.* in __init__.py.  But I was
still getting 'None' for compiler.get_version().  In the def
get_version() in ibm.py there is this code:

l = [d for d in l if os.path.isfile(os.path.join(xlf_dir,d,'xlf.cfg'))]
if not l:
     from distutils.version import LooseVersion
     self.version = version = LooseVersion(l[0])

However 'l' is defined in this case ['8.1'], so I added the else statement

else:
     version = l[0]

Now the ibm compiler is detected correctly.

However the build is failing with cannot find 'bundle1.o'.  This appears
to be added to the xlf.cfg in ibm.py in the get_flags_linker_so()
function.  I am not sure what this does.  Let me know if this is AIX
specific.  Also, in the same function '-bshared' is added as an option
for the linker.  As far as I can tell there is no such option for the
8.1 (or 9.1) versions of the compiler for Linux.

Continuing..
Eric