[SciPy-user] vector subtraction error

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:15:53 EST 2006

I understand what you are saying, but as far as I can tell, a vector
with the shape of (n,) is neither a row nor a column.  It can't be
transposed from one to the other:
In [9]: shape(temp2)
Out[9]: (9,)

In [10]: temp=arange(1,10)

In [11]: shape(temp)
Out[11]: (9,)

In [12]: temp2=transpose(temp)

In [13]: shape(temp2)
Out[13]: (9,)

This is entirely different from a 2d array:
In [16]: temp3=atleast_2d(temp)

In [17]: shape(temp3)
Out[17]: (1, 9)

In [18]: temp4=transpose(temp3)

In [19]: shape(temp4)
Out[19]: (9, 1)

So, is a 1D array always a row vector?  And if so, shouldn't
subtracting a 1xn from and nx1 raise an error, since it makes no sense
from a linear algebra stand point?

Ryan