[SciPy-user] Where are the packages (modules) under sandbox

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Jan 5 05:32:29 EST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 jaonary at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
> I've built one of the latest revision of scipy from svn. Things go right and the
> installation was succesfull. I'd also like to use gnuplot for graphic
> visualisation. I see that it's in the sandbox package. But impossibile to do
> something with it.
> I can do
>  import scipy.sandbox as sb
> but after that nothing! even a litle
>  sb.gplt
>
> Any idea ?

Before installation, edit `Lib/sandbox/setup.py`
to  have the line
  config.add_subpackage('gplt')

I haven't tried this for a while, but that's how it should work ...

> Another issue that I run into is with the very latest revision of scipy.
I don't
> understand why it requires numpy now. The revision before 01/03/2006 don't need
> numpy at all and the today's (01/05/2006), during the build stage, complains
> that he can't find numpy.distutils...

It was decided (for various reasons) that the new `scipy core` is
now called `numpy`. So you will have to install `numpy`
(the successore of Numeric/numarray/...) first and then scipy.
The restructuring was done last night - so things are really fresh
(but not test failures have been reported so far!)

Commands to check out:

  svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk numpy
  svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk scipy

If you need further information, don't hesitate to ask.

HTH, Arnd