[SciPy-user] How to built scipy on windows

Gary pajer at iname.com
Wed Jan 4 11:29:16 EST 2006

jaonary at free.fr wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'd like to build the latest scipy and the core package on a windows
> xp machine.
> I have installed on it :
> python2.4.2
> mkl (the latest version from intel)
> intel fortran compiler (evaluation version from intel)
>
> After retrieving the last scipy/trunk with svn, I did as, usual, in
> the core
> directory
> python setup.py build

Not sure how to fix, but I *can* tell you that the svn versions of
scipy_core and scipy build extremely smoothly on WinXP if you use the
MinGW compiler. The hard part is finding the right thing to download
from MingGW.  Building scipy is a lot easier than it sounds.

Start here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/

Click on
"Download MinGW" (in the green box)

Click on
"Previous"  (non intuitive!)

Click on
"MingGW" (down the page a bit)

Download
MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download>
(version 4.1.0 doesn't work for me)

and install

Here's Travis' build instructions from a previous post:
*[I'll add*, since it might not be clear, that scipy is in a separate tree:*
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
Set up two directories, one for scipy_core the other for scipy.
Build and install scipy_core first.]
*--------------------------------------------

Then, check out the latest SVN tree (Tortoise SVN is an excellent
windows SVN client that makes it easy).   The URL is
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/trunk

You should be able to go into the directory where you placed the tree
and type

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install

or

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32
bdist_wininst

to get an installable executable.

Alternatively, to avoid all the --compiler=xxxxx noise you can create
(or modify if you already have one) a distutils configuration file for
your version of Python.  The file name is

<your python director>\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg

and the contents should contain

[build]
compiler = mingw32

[config]
compiler = mingw32

On my system

C:\Python24\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg

is where it is located.

scipy_core compiles as-is.

scipy needs atlas (scipy_core doesn't)

get an atlas binary here:
http://www.scipy.org/download/atlasbinaries/winnt/
and install.  set an environment variable
set ATLAS=c:\path\to\atlas
(or set via the Windows control panel)

Then scipy compiles

hth,