[SciPy-user] RREF - upper triangular

arnd.baecker at web.de arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Feb 22 17:11:02 EST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Alan G Isaac wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Nils Wagner apparently wrote:
> > here is a code. However it doesn't make use of LAPACK. So
> > it might be to slow.
>
> This exchange suggests to me that Robert thinks that
> wrapping the LAPACK code is approximately trivial but that
> Nils does not see it that way.  Apologies for any
> misunderstanding.

But in this particular case previous exposure to wrapping lapack
functions is granted:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/scipy-user/2016895
(for dgehrd)

The number of arguments of DGEQP3 is the same as for dgehrd,
so on this level it is not more difficult.

> Anyway, coming from GAUSS as a *user*, I would not know
> where to begin if I needed to wrap a new LAPACK function.

Thanks to f2py, wrapping Fortran code is (with a bit of effort)
trivial in many cases. For complicated functions
requiring many arguments the wrapper can become longish.
Fortunately, many things can be learnt from
looking at ``scipy/Lib/linalg/generic_flapack.pyf``
In particular, the documentation at
http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/
is excellent.
I also found  the f2py notes by Fernando Perez very helpful,
http://cens.ioc.ee/pipermail/f2py-users/2003-April/000472.html

Let me try to give some general remarks on how to start
(the real authority on all this is of course Pearu, so
please correct me if I got things wrong here):
- first find a routine which will do the job you want:
  - If the lapack documentation is installed properly
    on Linux you could do
      apropos  keyword
  - www.netlib.org provides a nice decision tree
- make sure that that it does not exist in scipy:
    from scipy.lib import lapack
    lapack.clapack.<TAB>         (assuming Ipython)
    lapack.clapack.<routine_name>

  Remark: routines starting with c/z are for double/single complex
  and routines for d/s for double/single real numbers.
  The calling sequence for c/z and d/s are (I think always) the same and
  sometimes they are also the same for the real and complex case.
- Then one has to download the fortran file for the lapack routine
  of interest.
- Generate wrapper by calling
    f2py -m wrap_lap -h wrap_lap.pyf lapack_routine.f

- Generate library
    f2py  -c wrap_lap.pyf  lapack_routine.f -latlas -llapack -lblas

- You can use this by

    import wrap_lap

  Note, that this is not yet polished (this is the part on
  which has to spent some effort ;-), i.e. one
  has to tell which variables are input, which are output
  and which are optional. In addition temporary
  storage has to be provided with the right dimensions
  as described in the documentation part of the lapack routine.

Concrete (and very simple) example (non-lapack):

Wrapping Hermite polynomials
----------------------------

Download code (found after hours of googling ;-)::

  http://cdm.unimo.it/home/matematica/funaro.daniele/splib.txt

and extract ``hermite.f``

Generate wrapper framework::

  # only run the following line _once_
  # (and never again, otherwise the hand-modified hermite.pyf
  #  goes down the drains)
  f2py -m hermite -h hermite.pyf hermite.f

Then modify ``hermite.pyf``

Create the module::

  f2py2.3  -c hermite.pyf  hermite.f

  # add this if you want:
  -DF2PY_REPORT_ON_ARRAY_COPY=1 -DF2PY_REPORT_ATEXIT

Simple test::

  import hermite
  hermite.vahepo(2,2.0)
  import scipy
  scipy.special.hermite(2)(2.0)

A more complicated example about
how to wrap routines for band matrices can be found at
http://www.physik.tu-dresden.de/~baecker/comp_talks.html
under "Python and Co - some recent developments".

It would be nice if someone could add notes
on all this to the scipy wiki.

Best, Arnd