[SciPy-user] probably a stupid question: MatLab equivalent of "diff" ?

Tom Denniston tom.denniston at alum.dartmouth.org
Fri Dec 29 12:26:16 EST 2006

It would help if you could give a concrete example with a small set of
data as below to demonstrate the problem:

In [4]: numpy.diff(numpy.array([1,2,3,4,7]))
Out[4]: array([1, 1, 1, 3])

In [5]: numpy.diff(numpy.array([1,2,1,3,2,4,7]))
Out[5]: array([ 1, -1,  2, -1,  2,  3])

In [6]: numpy.diff(numpy.array([1,2,1,3,2,4,7]))>0
Out[6]: array([True, False, True, False, True, True], dtype=bool)