[SciPy-user] OSX Issue -- Symbol not found: _fprintf$LDBLStub

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 24 21:03:09 EDT 2006

Hey!  I'm attempting to get SciPy to run on OSX 10.4 (Tiger), with
the latest version of Xcode (2.2.1, I believe) installed.  When I run
python and import scipy.fftpack, I get the following error:

Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 30 2006, 11:02:15)
 >>> import scipy.fftpack
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/scipy/fftpack/__init__.py", line 10, in ?
     from basic import *
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/scipy/fftpack/basic.py", line 13, in ?
     import _fftpack as fftpack
ImportError: Failure linking new module: /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/
fftpack/_fftpack.so: Symbol not found: _fprintf$LDBLStub
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup

I've tried both the MacPython binaries distributed at python.org, and
the ActiveState distribution.  I've tried both downloading and
installing SciPy binaries (the latest version, 0.4.8, and an older
version, 0.4.4), and compiling them from source.  The problem does
not go away whether I use GCC 3.3 or 4.0.

Now, at one point in the past I had installed and gotten working
SciPy 0.3 from sources, so there might be a library sitting around
from that which is screwing things up, but I don't know where to
look!  Under the belief that maybe the problem was an old version of
FFTW (or one compiled with GCC version 4.0 instead of 3.3) I
downloaded, compiled, and installed BOTH FFTW 2.1.5 and 3.1.1 using
GCC 3.3.  Again, no change in the error message.

There is exactly one thing that does seem to work, and that is using
the binary of version 0.4.9 built by Christopher Fonnesbeck,
downloadable from http://trichech.us/.  I am using that for now, so
this isn't a terribly urgent issue, but it really bothers me that I
can't get any other binary or source distribution of SciPy working;
I wish I could figure out why his build works when even builds
performed on my own computer won't work.

Does anyone have thoughts on what could be going wrong?

Thanks a lot!  :-)

- Greg