[SciPy-user] Trouble Compiling SciPy 0.4.8 under Debian 3.1r0a on AMD64

Gil Citro citrog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:22:23 EDT 2006

On 4/5/06, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason you aren't using the Debian package which provides the shared
> libraries?
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install fftw3-dev
>
> If you must build from source, pass --enable-shared to the configure script to
> get shared libraries. If you must use static libraries, pass --with-pic to the
> configure script to ensure that the static libraries are built with the -fPIC flag.

fftw3-dev was already installed, which is why I decided to try
compiling from source.

Passing --enable-shared to configure results in this error

/usr/bin/ld: kernel/.libs/libkernel.a(alloc.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

Passing -with-pic causes no problem when compiling FFTW, but when
building SciPy I get the same error as before.

I'm starting to think it might have been a mistake to load the AMD64
kernel on this machine.  If anyone has any other suggestions let me
know, otherwise I might just try starting over with a 32 bit kernel.
Thanks again!

Gil