[SciPy-user] Trouble Compiling SciPy 0.4.8 under Debian 3.1r0a on AMD64

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 15:16:12 EDT 2006

Gil Citro wrote:
> I'm trying to install SciPy 0.4.8 from source under Debian 3.1r0a on
> an AMD64 machine.  When I type python setup.py install, I get this
> error
>
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a(mapflags.o): relocation
> R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> with -fPIC

This error message tells you what you need to do: recompile the FFTW3 libraries
using the -fPIC flag to gcc. Otherwise, they can't be linked into shared
libraries like Python extension modules. Ideally, you would compile FFTW3 as
shared libraries themselves although I'm not sure if the FFTW3 build process
makes that easy.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com