[SciPy-user] [SciPy-dev] Statistics review months

Matthew Vernon matthew at sel.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 3 06:32:25 EDT 2006

Hi,

On 2 Apr 2006, at 05:20, Jonathan Taylor wrote:

> on this topic, as an honest-to-goodness statistician it might be
> nice to
> see more statistical modelling in scipy. i know Rpy exists, but the
> interface is not very pythonic.

I am not a statistician, but I do a fair amount of stats nonetheless.
Enough that I wish there were some basic stats functions in "vanilla"
python!

> i have some "home-brew" modules for linear regression, formula
> building
> (something like R's) and a few other things. if it went into something
> like scipy, it might gain from the criticisms of others....
>
> is there any interest in making the equivalent of a
>
> scipy.stats.models
>
> module?

My concern is that this is effort re-inventing a wheel. Would it not
be better to improve the R interface rather than effectively
duplicating functionality that's already in R (a Free, and high
quality piece of software)?

Matthew

--
Matthew Vernon MA VetMB LGSM MRCVS
Farm Animal Epidemiology and Informatics Unit