[SciPy-user] Simulating discrete systems

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Sun Oct 30 20:43:51 EST 2005

Jorge Peixoto wrote:

>Hi. I need to simulate a transfer function in discrete
>time (I'm studying digital control). I googled and
>read the tutorial, but have not found how. Is it
>possible to be done in SciPy?

Yes, the function you need (for time-domain simulations) is called

scipy.signal.lfilter (it's in the full scipy package).

If you want to simulate in the frequency domain, then the function is
simply
fft, multiplication (the fftfreq command may be useful to specify your
frequencies if you have a formula for your transfer function), ifft.

If I knew more what you were trying to do, I could help more.

-Travis