[SciPy-user] Fwd: Scipy_core and numarray

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:04:25 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I've tried to post via the newsgroup interface, but my messages have
never appeared, so here's another try!...

I'm currently a numarray user from the astrophysics community and I
suppose I want to understand a bit more about the relationship between
the two projects. Do the two projects exist side-by-side? Will numarray
be superseded by scipy_core? I like the speed advantage of scipy_core,
but I there may be features of numarray I don't want to give up (or
legacy code I need to interfact with).

Along the latter lines, I have a more practical question: one
numarray capability that I used a lot was the ability to create
uninitialized arrays, such as

     arr = numarray.array(shape=(3,5), type=Float64)

Such an initializer doesn't seem to exist in Numeric/scipy.base; is
this correct? If not, please consider this a feature request.
Obviously, zeros() will work fine, and I'm sure that worrying about
the time spent filling with zeros is premature optimization at its
worst, but it's still vaguely annoying..."

(Any other comments on scipy v numarray, from either camp, would be
welcome, too.)

Andrew

Andrew Jaffe                                    a.jaffe at imperial.ac.uk
Astrophysics Group                                    +44 207 594-7526
Blackett Laboratory, Room 1013                    FAX             7541
Imperial College, Prince Consort Road
London SW7 2AZ ENGLAND              http://astro.imperial.ac.uk/~jaffe