[SciPy-user] object_arrtype addition error

Chris Fonnesbeck fonnesbeck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:38:43 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > One question is why these are object array scalars (entries in an object
> > > array), instead of floating point numbers in the first place.  Perhaps
> > > there is something going on there.
> > >

> > Its just my PyMC code calculating the quantiles of the trace (the big
> > array of sampled values), and throwing those values into a dictionary:
> >

> I figured it out. The trace array is intitialized as:
>
> self._trace = array([None]*size)
>
> Which, of course, is of type object_arrtype. When each element is
> replaced by a proper value, the type does not change. I suppose I have
> to initialize to float values, though I liked using None's under
> numeric because if for some reason the whole array was not populated,
> I would get an error if I tried to do anything useful with the array.

This brings up a question, then, about how to initialize an array when
you dont know ahead of time what type it will contain. I like to
initialize a large array at the beginning and populate it, rather than
iteratively append to a growing array (that's the Pythonic way,
right?).

C.

--
Chris Fonnesbeck