[SciPy-user] is scipy OK for my needs?

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Fri Nov 25 10:18:37 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm planning to rewrite from scratch a big Matlab spaghetti-code mess we
use for data analysis. I'd like to use Python and SciPy, for various
reasons (familiarity and love with Python, free-as-in-freedom license,
etc.). I'm currently looking at the SciPy documentation, but I still
have some doubt.

Shortly, my application needs these main capabilities:

1) Simple interactive GUI (just a column of buttons should work
well),this should be provided by WxPython or the like, isn't it?

2) Non-linear, fast curve fitting. It must work quite fast on as much
data points as 1000-2000 (although I can trick it to use less data
points without losing much precision, I guess).

3) Interaction with plots (I must be able to click with the mouse two or
more points I have to choose visually, and fit the data in between, and
not elsewhere)

4) Plot export in various graphic formats (SVG or other vectorial would
be the best).

I'm doing all this on Debian GNU/Linux.

Can you tell me if SciPy is a good and reliable package for my needs?
Thanks a lot,

Massimo
--
Massimo Sandal