[SciPy-user] SciPy-user Digest, Vol 27, Issue 13

Rick Muller rmuller at sandia.gov
Sun Nov 13 07:53:01 EST 2005

On Nov 13, 2005, at 12:36 AM, scipy-user-request at scipy.net wrote:
> You realize you don't need a fortran compiler to install scipy_core,
> right?  You should be able to convert from NumPy to ScipyCore without
> the fortran compiler issue.

Right. I'd actually like to use a few other toys in Scipy (spherical
harmonics, some of the optimization stuff).

> Now, if you want the additional code of full scipy, then the fortran
> compiler is needed.  I think gfortran is not capable enough yet,
> and so
> you need to use g77.  Can you install gcc 3.3 on FC4 and just use that
> to compile g77?
>
> I know, for example, that some people on MacOSX use gcc 3.3 instead of
> 4.0 because of some issues with additional features the new
> compiler is
> trying to support but not quite getting.

The Macs are really nice, since you can automagically select which
gcc compiler you want. Something like this on linux would be really
nice.

I guess I'm just puzzled why the gcc project would remove something
that was already working. Absoft did the same thing, force their f77
users to start using their f9x product. This is probably a good way
to detect bugs in f9x product, but why would you take away something
that was already working? I guess I need to ask this on one of the
gcc lists.

Rick