[SciPy-user] building scipy

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Nov 11 13:44:31 EST 2005

Jens Brandenburg wrote:
> hello everybody,
>
> to give you some more information about the problem I've tried the following
> under IPython:
>
> In [3]: from scipy.linalg import eig
>
> And this is the result:
>
> exceptions.ImportError:
> /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/linalg/_fli
> nalg.so: undefined symbol: _gfortran_compare_string

> I hope someone has an idea or at least reply to my request... ;-(( By the
> way - do I need the compat-readline* package to run IPython properly on SUSE
> 10.0 OSS???

I don't use SUSE, so I can't answer specifically, but basically as long as
Python was built with readline support under suse, you shouldn't need anything
else at all to use ipython.  If the up/down arrow keys work for you as
expected, you're all set.

As for your scipy problem, the gfortran message indicates you are using gcc4
(which replaced g77 with gfortran).  I know in some platforms people have had
a hard time with gcc4, but I don't know enough specifics to say much that can
be useful (I'm still using gcc3.4/g77 or the Intel compilers).

Cheers,