[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] How to install SciPy Core

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:28:37 EST 2005

Shu Li wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a little confused about how to install SciPy Core. I am new to
> SciPy so I think starting with the new core is a good idea. When I
> installed the core package first and then scipy, in the process of
> installing scipy, it showed it also installed a lot of stuff to the
> core directory which made me worry that part of the new core is
> overwritten by old core. And when I installed scipy first, then some
> words on the web saying some "__init__.py" file will "break the scipy"
> certainly worried me because I don't know what the break here means
> and why people are not fixing it if it is avoidable.

The new scipy core is completely different from Numeric.  It is a
replacement for Numeric.

In the past you had to install

Numeric
scipy_core  ---|
scipy           ---|  these were sometimes installed together as
scipy_complete or just scipy.

Now, you need to install

scipy_core  (newcore)
scipy           (newscipy)

You can install both Numeric and newcore if you want (say for
compatibility with old 3rd-party code that has not caught up with the
changes yet).    But, old scipy will not work with newcore because they
use the same directory and the __init__ file has changed.

So, just use newcore and newscipy and you will be fine and cutting edge.

> Also even when new core(0.4.2 beta) is installed the scipy still
> complained not seeing "Numeric", which added to the confusion. Could
> anybody offer some explanation? Thanks a lot!

You cannot use old scipy (i.e. version 0.3.2) with the new core.    You
need to use the new scipy with the new core.  Right now, the new scipy
is available by check out from the svn server:

svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/branches/newscipy

svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/branches/newcore

gets you the latest scipy_core as well --- the svn repository is usually
in a state where it can compile, since most developers run off of it
directly.

-Travis