[SciPy-user] Re: [AstroPy] Re: gui/thread issues

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Mon May 23 15:08:20 EDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> The issues with the GIL are still there, so any long-running command
> which doesn't release the GIL will still block.  But it does give some
> advantages.

Isn't that mainly an issue as to whether things can run concurrently?
As far as event handling, even when the GIL blocks, there still should
be thread switches on a regular basis within Python code so that even
though only one thread runs at a time, the events will be handled
during most long-running functions (perhaps not long-running extension
functions). But maybe I'm mixed up on that.

Perry