[SciPy-user] 'linear regression'

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Jun 30 02:48:38 EDT 2005

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005, David Grant apparently wrote:
> http://www.davidgrant.ca/python/bestFitLine.py

1. For something like this I think GPL is major overkill.
   How about public domain, or at least MIT? (The comments
   below are in the public domain.  ;-))
2. In the loop
        for i in range(len(x)):
                data[i] = (x[i],y[i],(max(abs(y))+min(abs(y)))/100.)
   I think you could:
   - omit the weight. In any case, you chose a weight that
     does not look generally optimal (but will not usually
     hurt or help).
   - compute the weight outside the loop
   - let data=zip(x,y,repeat(wt)) (for whatever weight you
     choose, if you use one) (repeat is in itertools)
3. For your stated purpose, if I understood, you do not need
   nonlinear LS and could use a linear solution (noniterative).
   (Scipy has this.)
4. An object oriented approach seems more natural here,
   perhaps, especially given your reliance on Scientific
   Python.

Point 2 seems to raise a question for Konrad: might allowing
leastSquaresFit to accept an iterator instead of a list as
data have some advantages?

Cheers,
Alan Isaac