[SciPy-user] Bug in optimize.leastsq when Jacobian matrix is provided

Abhiman Chatra abhiman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:26:27 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am new to Python, SciPy and optimization. So excuse me if I have make
mistakes.

My Problem :
-------------------
I want to use optimize.leastsq function of scipy to find a least square fit.
But my function in the parametric form is quite complicated. Hence I want to
provide the Jacobian matrix to the leastsquare optimizer to improve its
performance. But when I provide the function for calculating the Jacobian
matrix, I get a windows error saying "python.exe has generated errors and
will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error
log is being created <OK>"

Since this error cannot be caught I cannot trace the cause of this error.
But my feeling is that this is some memory error. This error is not
reproducible if I do not provide the function for calculating the Jacobian
matrix.

My Configutration :
--------------------------
Machine : P4
OS : Windows 2000 Professional
Python : Python 2.3.3
Numeric : Numeric-23.5.win32-py2.3
Scipy : SciPy_complete-0.3.2.win32-py2.3-num23.5

( I have also tryed with the following configuration :
Python : Python 2.2.3
Numeric : Numeric-23.0.win32-py2.2
SciPy : SciPy_complete-0.3.2.win32-py2.2-num22.0

--
Abhiman Chatra B,
Technical Analyst,