[SciPy-user] scipy for win32 and python2.4 - howto ...

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 20 20:21:12 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 16:59, Robert Kern wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I was ready to build scipy for windows with python2.4 ...
> > I have got the (now free!) Microsoft compiler VC7. I have been using it
> > for a month or so on a couple of projects. I did the necessary tweaking
> > for distutil.
>
> What FORTRAN compiler do you intend to use?

Good point ;-) Does that mean that cygwin/MINGW is then really the only
choice ?

> > BUT:
> >  1) before I can even start: "setup.py build" complains about many things
> > nor being available:
> >   1a) I think I can ignore fftw - for now ...
> >   1b) I downloaded the ATLAS source - but that seems to be "tricky"
> > (seems to be meant more for linux)  ==> I thought for the py24 build one
> > should be able to just reuse whatever was done for py23 - ATLAS and
> > LAPACK and BLAS - right ?     Can someone make those available ?
>
> http://www.scipy.org/download/atlasbinaries/

I'll take a look - thanks.

> >   1c) f2py ... is that available as binary ?
>
> It is pure Python.
>
> > 2) Really I'm mostly (only) in need of the plt module (for now).  Is
> > there an easier way in this  case ?
>
> Possibly, but plt, gplt and xplt are deprecated. It is suggested that
> you use matplotlib instead.

I know about matplotlib. I thought it would be quite a "big" thing to use for
"just a graph". I'm using wx which still seems to be matplotlib's weakest
platform. I really don't need "publication quality" plots. I would rather
want to look into wxPyPlot again. That one is VERY fast and quite thin.
Is matplotlib not getting to heavy for "really simple" plotting ?

Thanks,
Sebastian