[SciPy-user] Enthought python

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sat Jul 16 12:57:26 EDT 2005

    Ryan> Does anyone on this list know if the Enthought Python win32
    Ryan> installer will play nicely with my existing Python
    Ryan> installation?  I am trying to get mayavi installed and the
    Ryan> Enthought installer was recommended to me as the easiest
    Ryan> way.  I am getting ready to do that, but don't want to end
    Ryan> up essentially reinstalling every Python package I have ever
    Ryan> installed.

It installs its own version of Python-2.3.  I suspect that this will
blow away your existing install or atleast make your life a little
more interesting than it currently is...

    Ryan> The ideal behavior would be for the Enthought installer to
    Ryan> only add packages and probably overwrite the ones I have
    Ryan> already installed and leave everything else alone.  Is this
    Ryan> what will happen?

No clue, there is certainly one way to find out though.  >:-D

IIRC, Enthon installs Python-2.3.5.

Might be worth taking a backup.  Alternatively, if you just want to
install the VTK stuff follow the instructions here:
 http://vvikram.com/~prabhu/download/vtk/win32/readme.txt

Specifically see "Instructions for VTK-Python-4.4.zip".  This will let
you just install the necessary stuff on top of an existing Python-2.3
install.

cheers,
prabhu