[SciPy-user] bdist_rpm build error in scipy_core from CVS

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:48:12 EST 2005

Hello, Fernando,

Fernando Perez wrote:

> OK, many thanks for tracking this down.  I have a more generic
> question though, now that you're familiar with my approach: do you
> agree with it?  What I concluded was that the RPM 'arch' flags were
> not sufficient to address the needs of something like ATLAS,

This approach works for me.  I was not aware of the $YUM<N> flags, and
agree that it does neatly solve the whole problem.  I take it, by the
way, that you use a kickstart file to get the whole process rolling when
you build a new system?  I'd like to see that, probably off list.

I would only add a couple of minor suggestions about your pybrpminst
script, realizing this is something like a personal taste.  My overall
goal is to only do those things as root which must be done as root;  in
particular "setup.py bdist_rpm" should be done as an ordinary user.  See
footnote below.  Thus, I'm changing my local copy of pybrpmdist to have
an 'sudo' in front of the lines which touch the depot.  I'm also
deleting the 'yum install' from my copy, preferring to rely on my
automatic nightly yum updates to do this for me.

One comment/caveat:  even ATLAS's naming convention may be a bit coarse
grained.  I've built ATLAS on my laptop (Athlon M CPU) and an Athlon
desktop.  ATLAS correctly sees that the cache sizes are different and
builds accordingly, even though both architectures end up called
ATHLONSSE1.  Clint Whaley (ATLAS author) designed ATLAS for maximum
performance, and wrote it on the assumption you would always tune it for
each machine you're on.

Stephen

P.S.  A true story showing why it is important not to build as root.
The first version of the C compiler which HP shipped with HP-UX 10.20
had an interesting bug:  it attempted an unlink of /dev/null.  Of
course, this succeeded if you ran cc as root and then your system
mysteriously locked up.