[SciPy-user] Certain subpackages fail to load

Frank dalembertian at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 13:08:45 EST 2005

Hi All,

I have been trying to figure out this bit of weirdness for several
days now. After what seems to be a clean scipy install (Mac OS 10.4.3
Python 2.3.5), several of the subpackages, such as integrate and
interpolate, are unavailable while others, such as linalg and fft
seem to work just fine.

Python 2.3.5 (#1, Mar 20 2005, 20:38:20)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)] on darwin
 >>> import scipy
 >>> help(scipy.fft)

<Usual help popped up here>

 >>> help(scipy.interpolate)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'interpolate'

I realize that linalg and fft are part of scipy.basic while
interpolate and integrate are not but this does not help me toward
understanding how to fix the problem. Furthering my confusion, many
top-level functions are also unavailable:

 >>> help(scipy.derivative)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'derivative'

Curiously, I have seen in the Archives that, upon import, others get
something like:

 >>> import scipy
Importing test to scipy
Importing base to scipy
Importing basic to scipy
Importing io to scipy
Importing fftpack to scipy
Importing special to scipy
Importing cluster to scipy
Importing sparse to scipy
Importing utils to scipy
Importing interpolate to scipy
Importing lib to scipy
Importing integrate to scipy
Importing signal to scipy
Importing optimize to scipy
Importing linalg to scipy
Importing stats to scipy

I do not get any such verbose response. >>> import scipy gives me
nothing but a new prompt. I began to wonder if the first lines of the
build log were relevant:

Skip importing scipy packages (NO_SCIPY_IMPORT=SciPy/setup.py)
Assuming default configuration (Lib/utils/{setup_utils,setup}.py was
not found)

however, this is the default setup file. I certainly didn't go
mucking around in the setup.py file save for the minor change to
extra link arguments suggested on Fonnebeck's website to fix a
fftpack issue on OSX. The build log seems to indicate that the
relevant configuration files were indeed included e.g., "Appending
scipy.interpolate configuration to scipy."

I have the complete build log handy if would help diagnosis.

Thanks so much,
Frank