[SciPy-user] scipy on XP isnt happening -- and: concerning confusions

Gary Pajer gpajer at rider.edu
Tue Dec 13 09:50:24 EST 2005

Sven Schreiber wrote:

>Gary Pajer schrieb:
>

>>Martin Somers wrote:
>>

>>>[...]
>>>
>>>when i try installing scipy_core
>>>python setup.build
>>>python setup.install .....
>>>

>Maybe I don't understand your (ie., Martin's) problem, but the installation on windwos with the
>binary installers is actually quite simple, no need to do builds, compilations and distutils stuff
>on your own.

Correct, of course.   In looking back at Martin's post, I see that he
listed some binary installers.  Maybe he is indeed looking for a simple
installation procedure.  If  so, see Steve's instructions below.  (what
is pywin32??  I don't think I have it;  if that's true, it would be
unnecessary)

I always have trouble finding the binaries.  scipy_core is at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=6222

But IIRC,  scipy is somewhere else... and I can't find it at the moment.

I had guessed that Martin wanted to compile the latest version with the
latest tweaks.

[aside:  a few things have confused me over that past few weeks.  One is
the above-mentioned difficulty in finding the binary installers.
Another is the similarity of the names "scipy" and "scipy core"  and the
occasional use of "scipy" to mean the combination of the two, and my own
use of the word "scipy" when I really mean "scipy core".   I don't
suppose it's advisable to change the names now, but as the dust
settles,  a clear paragraph or two on the scipy home page, with clear
pointers to the appropriate files.   Personally, I'd vote to see the
names changed ... Maybe take the "sci" out of scipy core, since it has
application beyond scipy.  NuCore?  I don't know.]