[SciPy-user] scipy on XP isnt happening

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 03:55:18 EST 2005

Martin Somers wrote:
> Trying  to in stall a single plotting package for scipy and its
> not happening,

scipy no longer distributes any plotting packages. Older versions (0.3.x) do
have some, but they are unsupported. Probably the best place for you to start
with is matplotlib.

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net

> I must have some strange configuration as most
> my  efforts  under  XP  were fruitless,
>
> trying to install chaco using  python  setup.py build python setup.py install I getting an  import error of no module names seup_agg (which seems to be part  of swig)

Where did you get this version of Chaco? It is almost certainly not up-to-date.
A more current, working version of Chaco is coming soon, but it will not be a
part of scipy.

> The only other thing I can think of is that I’ve downloaded  Unix  files  and  trying  to  run  them….
>
> Surely an installation  can’t  be  that difficult, by the way I dont see a default  plotting package in scipy well those that I have tried wont  work
>
> Any  ideas  on  how to get scipy out of its box and running

We can't help you until you give us more detailed information like what version
of Python you have installed, what version of scipy you are trying to install,
what C and Fortran compilers you are using, and the actual text of the error
messages you are seeing.

> I also seem  to  be having a lot of trouble with the files
> housed in the distutils folder … what do they do

They actually build and install the package.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter