[SciPy-user] how to get matplotlib working with new scipy?

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Fri Dec 2 16:44:01 EST 2005

Hi Sven,

I'm just starting with scipy_core, so I can't address all your
issues, but Travis just helped me regarding mpl compatibility,
so I'll pass on what he told me in case he hasn't answered yet.

The issue of mpl compatibility was recently addressed on the
scipy and mpl developer lists.  A patch was checked in that
enables you to use mpl with just scipy (no Numeric or numarray
needed).  You can't just download the patches and patch
mpl 0.85; the files that are patched have changed since the
release.  So you need to use the CVS version of mpl.
Instructions for downloading it are at the CVS link on the
mpl SourceForge page.  Basically, just execute these two
CVS commands:

# cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/matplotlib login
# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/matplotlib co -P matplotlib

This will create a "matplotlib" directory in your current
directory with the current CVS check-in.  Go in there and
install mpl as usual.  When you're done, you'll need to edit
your matplotlibrc file, setting numerix to "scipy".  Then
the few examples I just tried all work.

Cheers,
Tom